POSITION PURPOSE: Protect the interests of SAG-AFTRA and its members by negotiating and enforcing SAG-AFTRA broadcast collective bargaining agreements in all matters relating to the terms and conditions of employment for broadcast employees, as well as member outreach through station visits and bargaining unit meetings. Responsible for member engagement and internal organizing at broadcast stations within San Francisco-Northern California. Support the Local staff, the Local Executive Board of Directors and broadcast member committees by providing advice and opinions on issues as assigned.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
(This section provides a general summary of the most significant job duties performed. It does not explain in detail every single duty performed).
- Draft, negotiate and administer broadcast contracts with television and radio stations.
- Provide general overview, information and assistance to covered broadcast employees, including frequent station visits and bargaining unit meetings.
- Work in alignment with national strategy on issues such as minimum contractual standards.
- Address issues and share information through regular labor/management meetings.
- Handle grievances, resolutions through Federal Mediation and/or settlement discussions, in an effort to preempt arbitration or litigation.
- Establish working relationships with employer counterparts in order to effectively administer and enforce the terms of broadcast collective bargaining agreements.
- Conduct factual research.
- Collaborate in the handling of arbitration matters (both simple and complex), concerning News & Broadcast-related grievances.
- Consult with Broadcast Director, Broadcast staff, and the Chief Broadcast Officer on particular issues, strategies, proposals, responses and the like.
- Work with National Organizing and Broadcast staff, Local staff, and the Chief Broadcast Officer to create, implement and facilitate internal and external organizing initiatives and directives, and comprehensive strategies.
- Provide assistance in the administration of dues check-off and other membership related matters.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
(The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that he or she can perform the essential functions of this job with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities).
- Able to communicate effectively in English, both orally and in writing.
- Able to negotiate and advocate effectively with diplomacy.
- Superlative interpersonal skills: high degree of patience and tact. Must be able to cultivate respectful, strategic and collaborative relationships with people from diverse backgrounds both internally and externally
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, especially MS Outlook, MS Word and MS Excel.
- Detail oriented with the ability to organize, prioritize and coordinate multiple tasks under deadlines.
- Able to work under pressure.
- Have an understanding and awareness of worker rights impacting SAG-AFTRA members.
- Hold yourself and others accountable for a high level of performance and integrity.
- Capable of taking direction from more than one supervisor.
- Must be able to maintain regular and acceptable attendance at such level as is determined at SAG-AFTRA's sole discretion.
- Must be available and willing to work extended hours (and/or overtime for applicable non-exempt positions) per day or per week, including weekends and holidays, as SAG-AFTRA determines is necessary to meet its business needs.
- Must be available and willing to travel to such locations and with such frequency as SAG-AFTRA determines is necessary or desirable to meet its business needs.
Education and/or Experience:
- Undergraduate degree or a combination of 5 years of education and experience in a labor relations or entertainment environment, focusing on contract negotiations, contract administration, dispute resolution, and employee benefits, preferred.
- Juris Doctor degree a plus, but not required.
- Union experience in the private sector is a plus.
Certificates, licenses, and/or registrations: